Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Am an Ultrarunner! Almost. Maybe. Part 10

Until today physical issues were not a concern regarding my upcoming attempt at an ultra.  Damn bicycle threw a wrench in that, but all I can do now is be careful and be smart.


Thank god I don't have to ride a bike at Lumberjack!


My "issues" that I have written about here and on dailymile of late have nothing to do with running and everything to do with how I see myself in everyday life.  I think my goal is to prove to myself that I am truly capable of amazing feats of physical and mental endurance.  And just maybe I can carry that enduring quality to other areas of my life where I feel less "awesome".  Sometimes my running bravado is nothing more than window dressing to disguise how timid I am when not on the road.

I have no idea how I will respond when the miles get long and slow, or when the night gets dark and cold.  But I already know how I react when confronted with obstacles.  That is "the wall" I hope to smash.

I listened to a podcast this morning where the hosts discussed running a one hundred mile race.  They compared it to childbirth.  Even though these guys will never know the pain of childbirth they do know that a woman delivering a child cannot take a "DNF".  You have to go all the way.  Its time I took that attitude.  Its time I stopped taking a DNF in life.

This is one challenge I am ready to tackle.

1 comment:

  1. I dont think its as bad as childbirth but I am a guy so what do I really know. I will say that it can get really painful and mentally exhausting.

    good luck

    ReplyDelete