Thursday, August 4, 2011

7 Links...


I had heard of the blogoshere and blogging for I began running.  But I honestly could not tell you what a blog looked like before last summer.  Once I joined dailymile I discovered how journaling my training and random brain farts would be empowering and theraputic.  Blogs are a way to share what works and what doesn't, whether the topic is training, nutrition or life in general.  Twitter buddy Rebecca K. nominated me for this project.
The project, 7 Links, is an attempt by Tripbase to unite bloggers from across the intrawebs in a joint endeavor to share lessons learned and create a bank of long but not forgotten blog posts that deserve to see the light of day again.
The rules are as follows:
  1.  Blogger is nominated to take part
  2.  Blogger publishes his/her 7 links on his/her blog – 1 link for each category
  3.  Blogger nominates up to 5 more bloggers to take part.
  4.  These bloggers publish their 7 links and nominate another 5 more bloggers
  5.  And so it goes on!

For your consideration…
Most Beautiful - When Giving Up Is For The Best - In May 2011 I decided to stop drinking except for race weekends, so long as the race was at least 13.1 miles in length.  This post explains why I really had no other choice.
Most Popular - Running Out Of The Shadows - My guess is that the popularity of this post is due to the fact that three of the first four comments were horribly negative.  The avalanche of support from my followers and online community in general was most humbling.
Most ControversialYou Cannot Be Serious - I responded to what I perceived as an insult toward a community I hold very dear to me.  This piece led to another by request of the people I sought to defend.
Most HelpfulSurvival - I acknowledged my struggle with mental illness.  Not only did writing about the subject matter begin my own healing process, it opened the hearts and minds of others, either dealing with personal demons or family members in pain.
Success Surprised Me - "Falling Short" Was Such a Great Leap Forward - My second marathon finish also marked my first Boston Marathon Qualifier.  It was not easy, but reliving that run though this post allowed me to appreciate the achievement in spite of not meeting all my goals that day.
Didn’t Get the Attention it Deserved - Naming My Demons - I am not a mind reader.  I find it difficult to know how my writing is received without some form of comment from the reader.  Even hit counts do not tell the entire story.  I would like to know that more people consider writing down their list of fears.
Most Proud Of - Thoughts and Reflections - This was the final chapter of four recapping my first ultramarathon.  I took a full week to write and post the series and after each post my readers begged for the next.  Each chapter has links to the other posts embedded at the bottom.

I follow these bloggers in particular because I enjoy what each writer has to say and how they deliver their message:
Dorthybitestoto's Blog - She is a close friend and took me along for my first ultramarathon.  Her writing is vivid and always sets me up for a surprise at the end.
Angry Runner - This writer is not for everyone.  She is course and crude and says all everything she feels in a manner that would cause most readers to recoil in shock.  That is exactly why I follow the Angry Runner.  She says what most only dare to think.
The Salinas Seven - Taryn is an absolute trip.  She writes with an honesty and clarity that I find endearing.
Run Luau Run - Not only an exceptional passionate runner, as a father Luau is a vocal advocate for autism awareness.  



Bloggers nominated so far

No comments:

Post a Comment